Every person that flies a drone that is flown in the UK now needs to be registered with the CAA and you need to display a registration number on each drone that you have. This is called an operator ID. Just to add a little confusion in to the mix, if you are not a ‘licence holder’ (aka pfco) aaka – Permission for Commercial Operations then you’ll need to obtain a flyer ID too. This is an on line multiple choice test with fairly basic questions that takes around 20 minutes to complete. If you fail it then you can straight back to it and fill in the missing correct answers that they give you. This is a little comical as basically it guarantees you to pass in 25 minutes (allowing for five extra minutes to get the answers you got wrong right that they tell you). It’s not really an ideal test but the idea is good. I’m going to outline in another blog article of the key points to remember with a sample on line test that is based on the CAA’s own test.

So if you don’t have a PFCO then you’ll need a flyer ID and an operators ID. If you do have one then you’ll need just an operators ID. Here is the link below to register :


Here is how it works. Enter your email address and they’ll send you a link. Click the link and take the test and then register for a flyers ID for £9 (price in Oct 19). 

Please don’t be mistaken though. A flyesr ID isn’t a commercial license and doesn’t give you any more rights to fly than you had before. 

See our sample test here