• UK CAA announces their recommendation to the UK Government to EXTEND INDEFINITELY  the length of Legacy and Transitional drone provisions in the Open category;
  • Extension will push back from December this year indefinitely;
  • If rubber stamped (99% chance it will be), operators of current non-class-marked drones WILL be able to enjoy current provisions for longer - especially good for operators flying aircraft like the DJI Mavic 3 and Mavic 2 Series in the A2 subcategory with an A2 CofC.

The UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA)  proposes to extend Legacy and Transitional drone provisions in the Open category.

it will allow pilots flying non-class-marked drones to continue enjoying the benefits of the current rules until such a time that the new CE marked drones come to the market (if they ever do)

This would be beneficial for pilots of drones such as the DJI Mavic 3 and Mavic 2 Series, who, come the start of next year, would still be able to fly under Transitional provisions in the A2 subcategory with an A2CofC, instead of under more stringent criteria of the A3 subcategory. The Inspire 1 falls outside of this category as it's too heavy.

This is one of the questions I get asked so many times. There is a short and long answer for most things but the short answer is Yes but No. Basically you need a flyers ID to fly and a UK ID is no use in Europe now. I say Europe as that's what we seem to call the EU when we are British. 

It's fairly straight foreward to get one though. Just go to the Irish Aviation Website, apply for an Irish Operators / Flyer ID and you are good to go. The cost as of June 2022 is 30 Euros for two years. You'll need to do a theory flight test that you have to get 100% pass but if you get the answers wrong then you can go back and take another guess at each question until you get them all right. You don't need to re-sit the entie exam again. Allow around half an hour. Take guesses where you don't know and go back and try again. There are several answers that I felt made no sense at all and I've had a UK 'License' (permission) for around 7 or eight years now.

You'll need to confirm your ID and you can just put an English address in. And then you are good to go. Here is a link to the IAA (Irish Aviation Authority) drone page. Pleases don't take this article as this is all that you need. Different countries vary.